View Single Post
Old 07-18-14, 12:41 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by bonner1040
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am going to the shop tomorrow to pick up the bike. I talked to Peter White today, and he was super helpful. I think I am going to go with the Schmidt hub and one of the light sets he recommends, but I will talk to the guys at the shop tomorrow.

I really like the idea of being self sufficient without rechargeable lights.
Good luck.

Fyi though, the Schmidt hubs seem like their are better products out there.

The cheapest is the Sanyo h27, though other hubs and wheels are nicer for around $135 (both hub and wheel) -
Custom Dynamo Front Wheel

Not sure if it's disc compatible, it's main drawback is that if you turn off the light it still draws the same power.

In the middle is the Shimano hub for around $220 -
Shimano Dynamo Wheel w/ Busch & Muller Lumotec Lyt N Plus

It's more refined, and turning off the light means the hub uses less power. It's what I use. It's definitely disc-compatible.

People have been saying that the top end is not Schmidt any more, but Shutter Precision ($400) -
E7 Ignite XL Dynamo | Volagi

It should be disc compatible since Volagi only makes road-disc bikes, but I can't be 100% sure without calling and asking.

That's what I know. Might be possible to find better prices. The Schmidt hub is very nice, but it's expensive and I passed on it because I didn't want to pay twice as much money for a slightly better hub vs Shimano. It's kinda like buying a Lexus. They'll all work though - good luck!