Old 07-18-14, 04:21 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I have a nice fuji road frame with a broken rear drop out, that was "repaired" with jb weld. A two part epoxy is not going to hold dt shifters- which are always under tension, nomatter the gear. OP should just get clamp ons- it's even lesser work than he wants to do to begin with. Plus if something should happen to the frame, the whole transmission system can be moved to another frame.

Compared to just gluing them on, brazing them on, or praying the skotch tape wont fail...

Originally Posted by 401flava
amen. Makes sense to me. C'mon, seriously he's not going to change gears with a crowbar and a 20lb sledgehammer. Granted its not ideal, you're using a (short) lever to apply force every time you shift, but how much force? A good 2-part epoxy would hold, I'd bet forever. Now, I'd do everything I could to make it work...Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess I'd rough it up ALOT, get some good groves in it to grab onto and then a solid clean up with some solvent. I'm thinking a wire brush Dremel bit would chew it up nice nice. If the frame is nothing special, I might even drill a tiny anchor hole or two to be a superhero,but that's likely overkill.

That said, epoxying is going to be as permanent as anything else, so I'd probably at least explore a more conventional approach. I'm slightly confused about why clamp-on BOSSES won't work...the shifters you want to use won't know the difference. You don't have to buy inferior clamp on SHIFTERS,just a clamp on boss. What's the issue? There's a nice DA on ebay as we speak. There're a zillion out there, some are beautiful...old Campys and Shimanos were artsy little bits. There's no cobbling, the only difference would be that you see the band of the clamp. Same curved surface, same boss. Jeez, you could paint the band to match the DT and hardly see it at all.