Old 07-19-14, 01:59 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
Hi there, Ive been given what I believe to be a peugeot ph8 by my uncle . Ive narrowed the year down to somewhere between 79 and 83 .
The serial number is 0931716 PH8CE 60. Here are two pictures of what I think is the exact same model except my one has cottered cranks .

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4007/4...36e611f6_z.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/glendo...-cyclespeugeot
I'm trying to source a new bottom bracket for it but I cant yet figure out what style threads it has ,British , Swiss or French ,

I'm hoping to figure it out so that I can pop in one of these cartridge cottered bottom brackets .

Sunrace cartridge bottom bracket for maintaining old bikes

I'm going for cottered as the original cottered cranks are in good shape and id like to keep them . The problem is that I cant figure out what threading the BB will have , swiss , french , or British . Anyone know which it would be or how I could find out ? If all fails my backup plan is new cranks and a threadless BB .
OP; Since the BB is needing to be serviced anyway, recommend having the threading checked when you are having the work done. More that likely a good cleaning and new grease will solve the problem anyway...well, it might need new bearings also. It is always a good idea to know your threading for down the road times. If you end up needing a new BB and you have something odd in the way of threading or spindle type, then suggest check the Velo Orange web site or call on them as they have band-aides for most all the problems of that that nature.

While I have no idea what year your bike is, I do remember in the 70's running across many "Peugeot's" with almost random threading such as French forked with Swiss BB, English forked with French BB's, etc. Likewise I saw many random assignments between cotter pinned cranks and more modern ones with square taper spindles. These are built and imported in random sized lots for random reasons at random times. If a buyer of say 200 cycles wanted non-cotter pin cranks and English threads they would be built/assembled to meet that need and budget spec. It was not uncommon for a random lot of French bikes to show up that was simply a collection of whatever leftover bikes were available at the factory at the time and not all from the current years output.

Hope that helps.
/K