View Single Post
Old 07-19-14, 01:25 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pars
Wondering whether you ever got these cones and tried them? I'm faced with the same problem on a friend's bike that I am working on. Both rear cones are pitted slightly. I went to the LBS I normally go to, and even though they are a Shimano Pro Shop, couldn't figure out what I had and did not have a close match. The CN-R024 looks to be the best match of anything I can find online as well. Shimano's techdocs no longer has any info on Exage either.
I didn't try them. I ended up not replacing the cones. Just reassembled the hubs with new bearings to see how it would go. The hubs were surprisingly smooth following reassembly, adjusted so there is just the tiniest hint of play before the QR is locked down.

The bike hardly gets any mileage, so I expect the repair will last indefinitely. It's my daughter's and she just isn't interested in cycling.

Edit: To be clear, you should read "surprisingly smooth" to mean "not nearly as rough as I expected."