onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jambon
Hi ,the downtube shifters are welded into the metal . I found that serialnumber on a paper tag , it was taped on the underside of the bottom bracket shell .If its any more of a clue I am living in Ireland so the bike would have been sourced/built/purchased in Europe. Will try get a picture up .
Duh..Next time I need to remind myself to ask the original poster where they are as some European manufacturers have different bike configurations, with the same model number, for different markets (ie US vs European). Unfortunately this still doesn't answer your original question. The model year of your bike is right during that time period when Peugeot switched to BSC bottom brackets. However as an educated guess I would say that because your bike had a cottered crankset which Peugeot was phasing out, it's about 99% sure it's French..

Threading
Peugeot bikes prior to approximately 1980 have French threading for both bottom
brackets and forks/headsets. Around 1980 Peugeot began converting over to
British threading or 'B.S.A.' During the conversion period they also used 'Swiss'
not used at the same time. Full conversion to British threading was completed by
1986 and possibly sooner.

Information on dating the transition away from French threading (metric tubes) is
partialy based on an E-mail from the Reynolds Tubing company based in
England. Reynolds has documentation of Peugeot using metric and Imperial
tubing in the U.K during 1978, Imperial only in the U.K. for 1981 and metric only
for the French market in 1980. Its very clear the transition began around 1980.
Information is also based on first hand accounts from Peugeot owners with bikes
from a known year and Peugeot catalogs.
http://cyclespeugeot.com/Threading.html

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 07-20-14 at 10:41 AM.