Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
But... but.... earlier we were told the live feed was focused on Talansky. And since Tasmania is in the group of 185 countries getting the live feed, she must have gotten exactly what we got. You guys keep thanking French TV, now those buggers must have cut out the southern hemisphere.
I don't think we get truly live coverage.

When our coverage starts, we get about 30 minutes that includes "Getting To Know You" with the leaders of the tour, the Aussies, and maybe a little bit of the Canadians, then there's Gabriel Gaté, of course, and there's usually a segment on the behind-the-scenes aspect of the tour.

Then we get about 15 minutes telling us what has been happening in the day's ride so far. Then we join the race in progress ... often anywhere from about 30-60 minutes in progress already.

So on the Talansky day, we got a 5 second comment that Talansky had dropped off the back and was trailing about 15 min behind.

I also suspect that the coverage is often on about a 5 minute delay because later the camera shot focused in on Talansky getting off his bicycle and sitting down in the grass and the managers etc. coming over to him ... that was another 5 second shot. The focus of the race went elsewhere for about 30 seconds, then returned to Talansky who was getting back on his bicycle sobbing his eyes out, and one of the announcers said, "I make that 5 minutes he was sitting by the side of the road". For a moment I though that had to be the fastest 5 minutes I've ever encountered, then it occurred to me that they must run on a time delay and can pick and choose the coverage.

The cameras returned to Talansky a couple more times for about 5 seconds each time and that was it until the end when he sobbed into the microphone for about 5 seconds.

With that much (that little) coverage it is really hard to see the heroic aspect. Not saying it wasn't there ... it just wasn't highlighted over here.

Last edited by Machka; 07-21-14 at 12:10 AM.