View Single Post
Old 07-20-14, 10:54 PM
TheGlutton

Bikes: Rodriguez Test Pilot Tandem, 1991 Schwinn Voyegeur, K2 USA Razorback Team, Genesis City Cruiser Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops, yeah 6th gear is what I meant...

I was suspecting that the big ring might be too far off axis. Maybe attach a chain-guard/bash guard to the outside of the big ring. Like the one it looks like the original crank has on it? That would sort of do the same thing a "Chain Watcher" does. Also did you consider chain length? I wonder if in the lower gears you aren't reaching the end of your tensioner? These are just my layman's guesses

I think 110 BCD is pretty popular, here is a sorta pricey 50T guard on amazon. Might be worth a try?

As for the suitcase, I took a chance on a $10 samsonite that measures ~ 27" x 21" x 9" today at Goodwill, there were a couple that size so when the bikes arrive on Wednesday I will pull them apart for a check-up and then test the packability with that case. Fingers crossed and pics to come

Your bike looks good btw, I'll have to grab some pipe clamps/straps and put a bottle cage on my stem-riser like you did, I like that.

I have a couple folding racks on order, I wanted the lowest profile rack I could get because I am hoping to avoid panniers and do that backpack trick. It has occurred to me that it might not work as well on a 20" bike as it does on the 16/17" Bromptons that The Path Less Pedaled uses. I'm gonna try anyway, heres the racks:

Schwinn Folding Cargo Rack on Amazon

I am a fender guy, and because budget is tight I will be picking up some old 20" tires from the LBS to turn into cheap fenders, I will bend some rod to make the stays, and I cut some angled aluminum for mounting on the fork and between the chain-stays/behind the bracket where I assume there are standard fender mounts.

That should be a fun project...