are what you need to maximize
as well as improvements to diet
cutting back on whatever your food kryptonite is

for me
if i can go five or six days per week
that i dont buy and devour a family size bag of chips
and get a few longish rides in
then my weight will continue going down
I agree with this, but certainly not long elapsed time.

I started last year on a junk bike. I couldn't ride it on the hills on the roads. I rode almost daily on the flat bike trail 12 miles which took me 50 minutes. Very occasionally I would ride a bit longer and ride for 1.5 to 2 hours. I lost 10 lb. per month last year (with combined watching the food and riding the bike.)

This year I bought a "good" bike. First thing I did was start to ride on the road. I was back to watching the food intake (slumped over winter.) I have nothing but hills. They aren't long hills, but short and steep. I'm riding up them in my lowest gear and though I don't have a heart rate monitor, my heart rate is definitely elevated higher than I've ever had it in my life riding up the hills. Thus, it's like intervals. I wasn't losing weight.

I went back to riding mostly on the flat trails. I am now loving my bike and loving riding so I found myself riding longer and longer. Instead of an hour, I was riding 2-2.5 hours. Again, I wasn't losing weight. The only thing I can figure is, with riding longer time (and thus distances) I wasn't putting forth as much effort to last longer.

Now I went back to riding just an hour or so a day (if I could get out because of the constant rain.) I'm back to losing weight. I'm still not losing much though because I'm not riding 4-5 days a week like I was last year. Rain and overtime at work is keeping me from going out daily.