Old 07-21-14, 06:48 AM
Kevin in TN

Bikes: Nashbar Carbon Road Bike, Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cognitive
In terms of frequency that's tougher. I can do an hour a day and 90 minutes on weekends. Not likely to change due to family etc
An hour a day (not even counting the 90 minutes on weekends) of sustained cardiovascular stimulus is more than a respectable amount of exercise, even if you can only make it out 4-5 days per week or so, this meets or exceeds what health professionals recommend. Couple that with a good portion-controlled diet (consistency and moderation are the key -- don't cut too low and there's no reason to swear off foods that you love), and you will have everything you need.

While many on this forum do ride more, I certainly think you could get healthy and fit by riding that much. Many of us who ride more than that, do so because of training for a cycling-related goal (be it a century ride, race, or simply training goal), commuting, or simply leisure time. I think anyone looking for "optimal health" would be very well off riding for an hour a day with a few rest days here and there.

Frequency is always challenging for those with busy lifestyles, especially if there are overhead costs involved in riding (if you can't start your ride from your front door, and have to drive to it, etc). I have found an indoor trainer to be helpful during busy weeks, although not nearly as enjoyable as riding outside, it's better than not riding. I can just wake up an hour earlier and ride -- as opposed to checking the weather, worrying about traffic and lighting, kitting up, getting to somewhere that I can actually start riding, etc).

This may be somewhat of a controversial opinion but I strongly believe that being a foodie is very good thing for health. There is nothing unhealthful about savoring rich delicacies or exotic/novel foods in controlled portions. Certainly much more healthful than living off of fast food and processed foods, and of course it is much more fulfilling.

Last edited by Kevin in TN; 07-21-14 at 06:56 AM.