FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Dessert
Ok so I am over 50 and just getting back into cycling and wasn't sure where to post this topic. Everyone here is probably an experienced rider so I am asking for some advice on getting clipped in and out of road pedals. I just purchased a new road bike and LBS put on "Mavic Zxellium Elite" road pedals. I have never ridden with clipless pedals and it seems like my pedals have to be in a certain position to clip out effortlessly. The best position to clip out seems to be with foot going forward and downward to the bottom of the stroke. Any position other than that, and it requires a lot of effort to clip out. I'm naturally worried about that because if I have to clip out quickly I'm afraid I'll not be able to.
So my question is "what advice would you give me to help learn how to clip out quickly if I need to"? Am I doing something wrong? Is it just a matter of "practice makes perfect" and this will come with more experience?
I switch back and forth between clipless and fixie straps, different bikes, so my brain never gets to go on automatic. I use VP clipless pedals and my shoe will aggressively pop out with a little heel twist in either direction. I really like that ejection feeling; my Shimano & Wellgo pedals took a ton of effort to get them to release, and they never felt springy on the release. So... I say it depends on the pedal/cleat system. If you are stuck with the Mavics I'd adjust them to allow an easier exit.