Old 07-24-14, 10:59 AM
neo_pop_71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
None of these had a stock type quill stem some of the early ones had BMX stem with short rise 24 type bars. Most had midium reach Bullmouse Victor types bars. Both are pretty pricey if you don't have them likely more than the cost of the bike. I would consider a 1 to 1 1/8th quill to threadless type adaptor then you well have nearly endless stem bar options.
Thanks zukahn1, I appreciate the info. I know the Sport came with the Bullmoose bars but my cousin special ordered this Sport to come with the "Stumpjumper" quill stem pictured in the 2nd and 3rd photos in my initial posting. I just want to find the matching riser bar that would have come with that stem, it's the same stem and bar set up that came on the higher end standard Stumpjumper. My cousin's dad, my uncle, was big on mountain biking when it was just getting going, his first bike was a custom order Ritchey ('80 Everest, I think) to go along with his custom Ritchey road bike('79, I know the road bike was 1 year older than the mountain bike). When his LBS got word about a production bike that was said to be similar to his Ritchey he bought one. My uncle still has one of the original 500 Stumpjumpers that were tig welded and he also has an '82 with lugged construction. In his words, neither Stumpjumper can hold a candle to the Ritchey, but they great bikes for the money. The original tig welded model is "a slug with no life" but the '82 lugged Stumpjumper has "spring and lively feel" similar to his Ritchey.

Originally Posted by gomango
Also, the front derailleur is a Suntour Alpine Gear Tech and the rear is a Suntour XC Sport. They continue to function like new after all these years. Tough stuff.
Thanks gomango for the parts update! We share the front but not the rear derailleur. It would appear that these bikes did support a variety of parts, mostly the same but some differences. I read a few threads last night on MTBR that had similar findings.

On a different note, that's great that Mrs. Gomango loves the bike! I'm glad people are riding and enjoying these bikes, the comfort and quality after all these years really says a lot about these gems. I too have much love for the Fat Frank tires! The tread design is super cool looking and it does an awesome on the pavement and in the dirt. The Fat Franks are fast rollers and hook up beautifully, the smooth ride provided by the 2.35 size is like riding on a cloud... a really fast cloud!

Here's my recent '88 Cimarron LE build:

Thanks again guys for the help, I really appreciate all the effort!

-D-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
88_Cimarron_side.jpg (102.6 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg
88_Cimarron_Peace.jpg (99.8 KB, 212 views)