View Single Post
Old 07-25-14, 09:14 AM
noob_rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
Well, I will say this as someone who's been eyeballing road bikes a couple months now.

#1 .) Yes, many a first-time road bike buyer here would assume that 105 is the VERY bottom rung of the ladder.

#2 .) Only recently have I heard anybody suggest that Tiagra is not so bad. (But I still don't think anybody's giving Sora the thumbs up just yet)

#3 .) I would go so far as to say that a first-time buyer reading this forum daily could EASILY get caught up into thinking they SHOULD get Ultegra (and 6800 at that) just to keep themselves out of obsolescence and really consider going Di2 to cut to the chase of the future.

All that said......most reading here long enough should realize that a full 105 bike is a good starter as well as a good chaser, racer, puller, climber, cruiser, etc. It's just a solid group set

I would also suggest a Fuji Gran Fondo to the OP if the Synapse appeals.
Sounds familiar. Was putzing around on my $199 mountain bike I got from the local automotive shop for a few months then started thinking about upgrading. Research lead me to this forum. Wound up with a Madone 5.5 (SRAM Force) as an acceptable first road bike. It's so crisp.