View Single Post
Old 07-25-14, 08:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
My data point- I've used X-2s since they first came out (with the machined Alu body) and have about 5 pairs in play currently. I never lube the cleats. I do watch where I walk. I every so often need to clean out the cleat springs from dirt but this is my fault for where I walked. The shop I work at doesn't like Speedplays and loves Looks. I have ridden with them a few times and they are what I would use if Speedplay wasn't around. They are pretty good WRT dirt and such but no non "SPD" system likes mud. The cleats do wear a lot if you hobble/walk a lot. Current Look road systems don't need lube but do like to be clean. They have float amount options but no where near as much as Speedplays. The pedal settles into a toe up position allowing a foot moving forward/engage the toe first then step down motion to enter the pedal. If you want a truly mud capable syatem go to a "SPD" one, shoes and all. Andy.