RUOkie
Scarlet Knight

Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
RUOkie can correct me, but I think we start with 1500-1800 calories in reserve. Keeping it somewhat in balance is the goal, without going into a negative. Eventually you will have to add protein to the mix, which is why I always had Perpetuem on hand. Whey protein is a bit easier on the system, but many folks can't seem to handle Hammer products. Gels and blocks are also on the menu, and Hostess Snowball are a certainty after 200 miles. I have yet to figure out how people can eat a whole meal while on a ride, but I have seen many a Rando do it. Not my thing, though the only full meal I eat each day is the salad I have for dinner.
that is pretty accurate, although the reserve part can be very variable. The more you train at endurance events, the more you store, but there is an upper limit to us all and that is determined by genetics That is why a lot of people currently advocate occasionally training on an empty stomach to stress the system Obviously that is not something you want to do every day.
@Heathpack. The advantage to gels and blocks are that they are very rapidly absorbed, with little to no digestion needed (just your salivary amylase) So you can take in 100 kcal and within a min or two you can use it.