Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Transportation Options

Questions come up from time to time along the lines of ...
what if we get sick or injured and can't cycle or walk ...
what if we've got to take a pet to the vet ...
what if ... various life things happen which make it too awkward to use human-powered transportation

The answer is that there are options. Sometime you've got to read through the yellow pages to find those options ... it's fascinating what you find when you look through the yellow pages. Sometimes you've got to pay attention to the vehicles going by while you're standing at the bus stop ... read the side panels. Sometimes it is worth it to flip through the brochures while waiting in the Dr's office. And of course, Google can be our friend.

I discovered this organisation which offers "social and non emergency medical transport to the frail aged and younger disabled". The fees are a little bit more than the bus, but not too bad, and you would likely be delivered right to the door. If I burned my foot to the bone here, like I have done in the past, I'd ring these people up to see if they might be able to transport me.
Community Transport Services Tasmania :: Homepage

I discovered this one while waiting for the bus and observing the vehicles passing by ... a pet taxi service! Their fees aren't too bad, they will assist with pet carriers, and will wait through the appointment.
Home page Pet sitting

Both Coles and Woolworths ... two of our large grocery chains have home deliver services as well. So if you're stuck at home sick, you can place an online order and have it delivered to your door.
Home Delivered Groceries | Home Delivery | Shop Online With Coles
Woolworths Online

And of course, many furniture and appliances places have home delivery options ... well worth it even if you do have a vehicle!

There are no doubt heaps more of these examples. What are some in your area? What are some that you have used?