Old 07-28-14, 09:08 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
I lived in China for about over six years and I did notice that few cyclists used any lights at all; add to that the reality that bicycles never have the right of way and you get exactly what people expect, carnage.

What does that prove? nothing.

I do suppose that be seen lights are a bit pointless in an environment where you never have the right of way in the first place. . . (the logic is that bicycles are for poor people and cars are expensive; therefrom are used by more important people . .. and yes, the only word that translates is "important")

Back to the US, which seems to be the subject of discussion. Yes I use lights at night, and yes, largely to be seen. Sometimes I use a blinkie in the daytime; primarily when I am riding at the speed of, therefore mixing with, traffic.

I even got a dyno-hub on my most recent commuter bike so I wouldn't have to think as much about the light. That being said, I do side in with those who oppose legislated lights. First, I happen to be in favor of less laws as a general principle. Second, if the unexpected happens (look longer than planned, dead batteries. . . whatever) the law leaves you in a bad spot; whereas, without the law one can ride on by being hyper-vigilant.
Yes, to be fair, these foreign workers very seldom get hit by cars - but then again Singapore is a very well-lit city with only a relatively small number of lightless side-roads where cars wouldn't be travelling all that fast anyways.

We have laws for everything here, so I understand where your "less laws" mentality is a good thing. My wife is currently in Australia where there is mandatory helmet laws, lighting laws, etc. I'm happier without a helmet since my scalp gets really itchy and I've lost too much hair thanks to that. Mandatory helmets would make me lose what little I have left.