View Single Post
Old 07-28-14, 11:28 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Who treats water on your tours? What equipment or tablets do you carry? How concerned do I need to be about what's upstream?
I carry 1 x 750ml water bottle on my bike with another 750ml or 1.5L bottle on the bike depending on the tour. I usually also have an empty 2L water bag in my pack.

I fill from creeks along the route during the day. If I am high up in the mountains where I can see the source of the creek I won't bother treating it at all.

If I am lower down I'll mix up some Pristine drops and throw it into the bottle.

I fill up the 2L water bag at camp or just before camp when there is no water at camp. This gives me water for dinner and breakfast. If I am boiling the water I don't bother treating it.

I have been eyeing up one of those water bottles with the built in filter so I can just scoop water out of a creek and go without mixing the Pristine drops.

I'm mostly touring in the mountains of BC where there are loads of quality water sources along almost every route.