View Single Post
Old 07-28-14, 03:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
No problem with making the swap, it's a fairly straightforward job and hard to mess up.

The key things to consider are related to the purchase. Bars have 2 important diameters.

1- the diameter of the raised section within the stem. This is probably 25.4" on your bars, but loosen the stem pinch bolt, move the bar over slightly and measure to confirm.
2- the diameter of the rest of the bar, which is important because it has to match all your brake and shift lever clamps, and things like clamp on bar ends. Steel bars are 22.2mm (7/8") , as are some aluminum bars, but others may be 23.8mm, matching the diameter of aluminum drop bars.

Installing the bar is easy, but the wrong diameters will mean difficulty, or needing new levers or clamps, so to paraphrase the Yankee carpenter "MEASURE TWICE, BUY ONCE"

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.