Old 07-29-14, 06:36 AM
LastKraftWagen

Bikes: Burley Duet [of some unknown year] (the guinea pig); 2001 Ventana ECDM (the project); And always one less than I think I really need.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
And I'm a stoker who strongly disagrees with that method.

Sure, I'll go along with the stoker never makes mistakes thing but we have discovered that we start best when we are clipped in with our left foot, and each have our right foot on the ground. In a single, smooth, graceful motion ... some of the time ... most of the time ... we push off with our left foot, raise ourselves into the saddle, and pedal with the right foot. When we are rolling, we worry about clipping in or not as the case may be.

I think we tried the method described in that article once, but I am a strongly, fiercely independent cyclist, and I want my foot on the ground when the bicycle has come to a halt ... or before it gets moving. The captain could be the author of that article ... who thinks he knows The Method ... but I would still want my foot on the ground.

But these are things a captain and stoker need to discuss and work out ... and find out what works best for you as a team.

+ 1, but my reasoning has less to do with independence and more with equipment choice and safety...If you can imagine Speedplay cleats and carbon soled shoes. Our difference is that we left foot down as the roads around here are crowned.