Old 07-29-14, 04:28 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
I remember riding a bike with 29" tires 45 years ago, 29" is simply the older imperial measurement that used to be in use before 700c became the more common designation.

I also have a bike I ride today that has 700c wheel that has 40mm tires on it, so your second point has no merit either. There are skinnier tires designated 29" and fatter tires designated 700c, there is overlap in the sizes and widths.
Tire Sizing Systems

Originally Posted by irwin7638
My point is the 29er tires are actually 622-54. It would be nice and less confusing to use the actual tire size than the marketing nicknames and archaic designation.
Agreed. See the second paragraph in the above quote. 2"+ 700c tires should be the only tires designated 29er,everything else is just marketing hype. When I bought my '08 Novato,it was between that and the Muirwoods 29'r. The Muirwoods was called a 29er,but came with either 40s or 42s and would def not fit 2" knobbies.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X