Old 07-30-14, 06:18 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
and that honda fit is far less likely to collide with someone or injure someone at lower speeds. i simply don't buy your argument that taking the lane is risky most of the time. (in my experience, only a minority of cyclists habitually ride in high speed environments.)

#1 ) Please tell me where I state that "taking the lane is risky most of the time(itals. mine)"?

#2 ) There are so many variables at play in your statement: "that honda fit is far less likely to collide with someone or injure someone at lower speeds" as to make it basically inarguable. Ie. are cyclists involved in collisions at a greater rate with motor vehicles at higher speeds than at lower speeds? Higher and lower than what? 35 mph as opposed to 65 mph? 25 mph as opposed to 35 mph? Please provide your evidence that collisions between bicyclists and motor vehicles occur at greater frequency when the motor vehicle is traveling at higher speeds. I have no idea what you are basing that statement on other than a pile of blanket assumptions.

#3 ) I agree to a degree with your statement that the majority of cyclists ride in environments where traffic is traveling at slower speeds. Though I am less inclined to see it as a total given. I am currently riding in Southern California and a great deal of my riding in the San Diego area has been on roads that approach freeway speeds and with relatively high traffic volume.

Last edited by buzzman; 07-30-14 at 06:24 PM.