Old 07-31-14, 10:54 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Willbird
That is all interesting info, and actually not what I expected, some folks were talking about data from TDF riders that showed their heart rate at something super low like 120.
A TdF rider hiding away in the middle of the peloton can ride most of a flat stage in his recovery zone. I, on the other hand, was an ordinary mortal racing crits and shortish road races. Nobody rides crits in their recovery zone, they're hammerfests. And TdF riders spend plenty of time at high intensity when they're training, trust me.

I "kinda" know where they threshhold is in a general way, but do fully intend to find and quantify it a little bit better.
Do. If you want to train using HR in any structured way, it's an important number. And one of the important thing about using a HRM is to make sure you keep your HR down. Too much time at high intensity will just fatigue you and prevent you making as much progress as you might. Which brings me to...

My natural ride pattern so far has been to flirt with the upper edge of that LTHR.....but maybe taking it easier on declines....having he HRM to keep me honest has helped me raise average speed, and may in time allow me to learn how to approach, crest, and sustain past a hill more efficiently....it is no good to carry velocity onto it, shred it, then burn out on the flat up on top.
You shouldn't spend all your time at threshold. Intensity is essential, but going hard all the time is a recipe for burnout. To build fitness you need a mix of long steady rides and shorter intense interval sessions. A hilly ride where you take it easy most of the time but go hard on the climbs is a good way of mixing it up.

And again at the end of the day it is about enjoyment of the workout, the activity, and getting better and stronger....deep into my 49th year alive age will start to steal from me at some point :-). I was able to average 17.3mph today on a 15 minute pretty much full throttle burn :-). Need to get some good portions of my explored rides selected for that kind of stuff :-). Adding structure to the exertion makes route selection "different".

Bill
Don't set too much store by average speeds. Terrain and road conditions vary too much to make them a reliable guide unless you do the same route over and over again. It's a good idea to train on the basis of time and intensity. However, you're absolutely right about enjoying the workout. That's what keeps you coming back.