View Single Post
Old 07-31-14, 02:16 PM
auldgeunquers

Bikes: various strays, mongrels, and old junk.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anybody heard of a Jamar Cayuga before?

Hi all,

I picked up this old Japanese bike for 10 Buckaroonies at the local ReStore - mainly thinking I was going to use the straight Ukai rear rim to replace the non straight rim on my old Velo-Sport ... but I tinkered with it a bit and had it rideable in a couple of hours. The poor thing had been serviced by somebody who obviously did not know what side of the drop out to hang his derailleur on ... I mean that literally.

I find now that I kind of like the old girl ... and since I can find no info about the bike via Google nor Wikipedia, I thought I would turn to the enlightened folk here for their 2 cents.

The bike is steel, and too heavy for a racer, with not enough braze-ons for a tourerer. The run of the mill Japanese components are making me think it is some generic run of the mill mass produced bike built to be rebranded, and this one was rebranded with a short lived and narrowly dstributed brand. But the fancy work on the lugs around the headset seem out of step with the other components I find. I have not yet been able to find a serial number (THAT's a bad sign!). Those Dai Compe brakes work great. The Deraileur seems to be telling me early 70's. I amused by the front derailleur name ... "Spirt" - but it seems to confirm the early 70's dating of the machine.

So ... what do yous think, eh?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Crank out.jpg (92.1 KB, 10 views)
DiaCompe front.jpg (90.6 KB, 10 views)
Downtube.jpg (94.2 KB, 9 views)
Head Badge.jpg (93.3 KB, 11 views)
Headset.jpg (96.1 KB, 11 views)