Old 07-31-14, 08:14 PM
jonathanl

Bikes: Masi Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
The Kickstarter page says that "the project was successfully funded on January 13, 2013.": Out of curiosity, what technical issues did you have that kept the product from being shipped earlier?
The most major one was when the injection molded parts had different sound qualities than the 3D printed parts we prototyped with. I describe that problem in this video. Another problem was with the button connector which used to be right on the horn housing like this, but in tests the huge vibration from honking would wiggle the connector right out. We moved the connection point to the cable outside the housing and now it works great (horn photos here and below).

I stopped using the Airzound because 1) it didn't work in the rain or when it was cold, and 2) the volume knob broke after just six months.
The Loud Bicycle horn is crazy, I've ridden it in through tropical storm Arthur last month. Here is a video showing how water resistant the bike horn is.

As for building one's own bicycle car horn, there's the issue of weight (li-po battery + two-tone horns + relay + switch + wires) and not getting fried when it's used in the rain.
Yeah, car horns are pretty robust but protecting a high powered LiPo and the button is the tricky part. A friend of mine had success putting all the electronics inside a sports water bottle. Then mounted it naturally in the water bottle cage. To charge he simply unscrewed the lid. I'm not sure what he used for a water-resistant button though ...

Last edited by jonathanl; 07-31-14 at 08:15 PM. Reason: extra [/quote] snuck in there