View Single Post
Old 08-01-14, 06:56 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Well, wow, iab, I take your point. A lot of people would say that bike needs to be repainted. While I love the look, I might even be among them.

The paint on the Allegro is much too good to repaint. It has all its original decals and it mostly looks pretty great. It's just the chrome 'socks' that are beat to hell. Well, tell you what, I'll clean up what's left of the chrome, get the rust out, and post some more photos. I'll give all you guys a chance to weigh in on what should be done.

And then there's the issue with the top tube. It appears someone rolled a dent out, and did a pretty good job of it, but ruined a patch of paint. Then they repainted that section in a rather jarring color. Goof-off takes that new paint off; but under it is bright, freshly sanded steel. I guess I'll take off the rest of the new paint and try to match the original color a bit better, and see about giving it a 'smoked' finish somehow. This is going to be a challenge.