View Single Post
Old 08-01-14, 07:01 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
rhm -

now that you have the piece to hand there is a small check you may wish to make. examine the ghost image of the front mech's mounting on the seat tube to determine if it were r or gs. because of the item's dating it could go either way. the early sixties specials i have seen were fitted with the first generation r front mech.

tulliana timelines typically give a launch date for the r front mech of 1959 or 1960. new components naturally reach the pro teams first and then a bit later make it to the lbs level. hence, there is sometimes a slight disagreement as to the exact launch date for a piece.

to find a gs (pushrod) front mech would be much easier and less costly than a first gen r example.

my oversight not to mention the lubrication fitting. the early sixties special i had possessed one also.

you have not mentioned if your 49 c/w set is hex or allen.

verot made ch fixed cups so that should not be a problem. the code for a verot ch fixed cup is eight flats and no rings. (they are not marked with numbers or letters) the code for the verot metric adjustable cup is six flats and no rings. the code for the verot metric lockring is six dogs. the spindle usually used for the 49 is nr. 120.

you are most fortunate to have received that beautiful philippe stem. they are noticeably stiffer/stronger than the ava and pivo models of the same era. in addition to their excellent finish and strength they have the advantage of having made stems with a 25.4mm clamp size. you might check yours to see if it is 25.0 or 25.4. the latter size would of course give a much greater selection of bend.

saddle - thought about your question. do not know what o.e.m. was. if it were mine i think i would go with a standard tron et berthet 90 in black with black rails. i know this is not very exciting. the beautiful tan and honey saddles we all love did not exist ca. 1960 so would not be period correct. another way to go might be with a 90-I. zeus made clamp parts to fit an I-series saddle to a campag r or zeus gs type pillar. another very interesting period correct saddle & pillar would be to go with a flat rail nitor set.

i'd better pipe down now. this is more than eno' for one post.

Last edited by juvela; 08-14-14 at 11:23 PM. Reason: correct spellin'