Old 08-02-14, 05:44 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I had a similar conversation with a bikey friend. The question was: "What bike would you keep in an apocalypse (could only keep one)?" I narrowed it down to a 26" wheel bike, steel of course, friction shifters (I could fix), good stopping power, could take racks & haul stuff, etc. I decided it would be the Fuji Sundance - lugged steel, roller cam brakes, ratchet friction, etc. Possibly the Sekai, because the paint already looks like it's been through an apocalypse so would fit in, but it's 5 speed & the Fuji is 6. It was pretty much a toss up.

This conversation came about around the time of the bike disaster relief trials. A 30 mile course (FEMA is involved with this as is emergency services) where cyclists have to pick up certain "supplies" (to emulate vaccines, gallons of water, etc.) and has to carry their bike (typically some sort of cargo bike) over a 3' high obstacle. Anyway its supposed to emulate how bikes will help in the event of a catastrophic emergency where cars, buses, etc. won't be running.