View Single Post
Old 08-02-14, 09:08 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
Tom: I have found some businesses are small by choice, but many are small because they are poorly run. Finding a shop that is the former and not the latter is key.

I do know that most managers do not really want advice on how to improve their business. They may ask for it, but keep it short, really short (maybe one or two suggestions, and nothing that requires them to totally change strategy). Get to know them really well first.

Its unfortunate, but many people are stuck financially doing what pays well instead of what they enjoy. I called this period of my working career the "mercenary years".

On the resume, I would tone down anything that infers age. Instead of 29 years experience in a field, say greater than 10 years.

Also consider multiple resumes, tailored for the job you are seeking. Then adapt the goal/objective to match the job. Find out what they need, and tailor your discussion to how your skills would match those needs.

Any experience with some of the modern bike fit systems?

Last edited by wrk101; 08-02-14 at 09:22 PM.