View Single Post
Old 08-05-14, 12:46 AM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Here is my recently acquired 1968/69 Lejeune. Mostly original except for the tires, brake pads and brake cables as well as handlebar tape. It was fairly dusty and dirty from years of storage and I just finished repacking everything but the bottom bracket - I don't think any of the bearings have ever been serviced but the bike shows little mechanical wear, just chips from being moved around or hit from the look of it. Spent a few days polishing the frame and components. I even like the chrome steel Rigida rims, a welcome contrast to years of alloy rims ( nothing wrong with them of course! ). Dating this bike has been fun, what with the owner almost positive it was 1966, although the head badge suggests it was no earlier than late 1968 the down tube graphics are very similar to the older Sauvage/lejeune bikes before 1968 and the lugs are fancier than ones I have seen from the early '70's and on. The Huret Svelto rear derailleur is the first generation with smooth jockey wheels. It was only ridden for the first two years and then occasionally until recently- good thing it was a bit large for him as he was going to turn it into a single speed. I think older bikes - even entry level ones like this should be preserved when mostly original. I will be replacing the brake pads with the correct Mafac ones as well as reinstalling the original white colored cables. Even ordered some metal schraeder valve caps. . Looking for a period correct 19" frame pump as well. The sticker on the down tube says " Axel's Bicycle Shop" in North Vancouver - don't know if any locals on here remember it or actually visited the store or are aware of its history.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP7973.jpg (101.2 KB, 253 views)
IMGP7974.jpg (89.4 KB, 239 views)
IMGP7975 (2).jpg (92.6 KB, 237 views)
IMGP7976.jpg (103.1 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by VintageRide; 08-05-14 at 01:24 AM.