Old 10-18-05, 11:35 PM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I take the eye contact differently. I walk everywhere. When I'm crossing a street, I always make eye contact with approaching motorists. And if I get the sense that they're debating whether to stop or not, I make intense eye contact, to keep them from doing something stupid. For some reason, people are less willing to kill you if you're looking them in the eye while they're doing it. Maybe it shocks them into reality or something. I dunno. Anyway, people who would otherwise pretend they didn't see me decide to behave once I look them in the eye. Except for that one woman inthe SUV who looked me directly in the eye as she gunned her motor and drove straight at me (I was in the middle of the crosswalk, with the right of way, and she was making a left turn as she came at me.). Now, if I ever see her again, she and I need to have a little talk. Out in the alley.

Anyway, my take on the trucker with the eye contact is (1) he was watching to make sure you didn't do something stupid, like dart out in front of him, and (2) he was making eye contact with you to dissuade you from doing something stupid.

That hateful look he gave you? The other day, I had to stare down a motorist because he just wasn't stopping at a red light while I was crossing, so I gave him my "If I have to, I'll drag you out and beat you senseless" stare. Why the trucker was staring that intense? Who knows?

The first guy just seems clueless. Lots of people are clueless. Even cyclists.

Last edited by Blue Order; 10-18-05 at 11:40 PM.