carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
yes.

in your specific circumstance, I'm going to assume you are OK medically and not exacerbating injury (which I'm not certain is a good assumption, but it's what I'm going with). So, your tactic should be to work on positioning, staying in the draft, and not getting dropped. I cant remember ever seeing a hill in NYC but I think there is one in your CP race, so part of your tactic should be getting near the front of the pack before the hill so you can "drift climb" it (start at the front and pedal at your climbing pace while people pass you in an effort to catch back into the draft after you go over the hill, it's a tactic I've used more times than I can count). Dont hit any wind, dont do any attacking, dont close any gaps unless you have to, let others do the work for you and hang on as long as you can. You might surprise yourself.
+1

Originally Posted by grolby
Well, no, not really. If you are dropped, you aren't really racing anymore, and you learn a lot more from actually racing than you do suffering OTB.
+2

I'd just hang for as long as possible while trying to take it easy on your back. The "new tactic" I'd try is to be exponentially more efficient sheltering in the field than before. May not be possible but that'd be my goal. That and the drift back on the hill.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson