born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
I did not like their cross frames.
what BD.com cross bike did you purchase?

They are not butted and my downtube was paper thin where it meets the cranks. I do not feel I can trust the frame.
here's the description of the frame of the CX bike i just purchased from BD.com:

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Main Frame[/TD]
[TD]Vari-Butted Aluminum Geometrically Enhanced tubing, Integrated HeadTube, 2xH2O bottle mounts (brazeons) Headtube L: 49/52/54/56/58/61CM = 95/105/115/115/135/165mm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rear Triangle[/TD]
[TD]DISC BRAKE READY, Vari-Butted Aluminum Geometrically Enhanced tubing with S-bend seatstays, replaceable derailleur hanger, Fender mounts, REAR RACK BRAZE-ONS (DISC BRAKE MOUNTS, Cantilever brake tabs, 130mm rear spacing)[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

it pretty clearly spells out that the tubes of the frame are butted. i have a BD.com titanium frame road bike and i have been extremely impressed with the frame on that bike (as i said earlier, it's my favorite in my stable), so i'm not too worried about the quality of the frame on my new BD.com bike. it is at a lower price point than my road bike, so i would expect that the frame might not be as great as the Ti frame on my road bike, but i still have confidence that BD.com is not going to put an un-butted crap frame into a $900 complete bike package. now, at that low of a price, i'm not expecting anything magical either, but i think it'll be a good enough, solid enough frame to serve as an all-weather commuter/running around town bike.

The stem was so poor quality it flexed, so I had to replace.
stems are very easily replaced. if i end up with a flexy stem on my new CX bike, i'll just switch it out with one of the other stems i have lying around in my spare parts bin.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 08-08-14 at 10:34 AM.