View Single Post
Old 08-09-14, 10:10 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
The variations in 105 are either generation/cosmetics, or the cage length ie. short or medium (I don' think there's a long, but maybe), or possibly a special version of mounting system.

So, if your bike has a normal gear hanger built in then the standard RD is right. You still have to decide on cage length, based on the gear range. I don't memorize Shimano specs, but a typical road setup with 39/53 and 13-26 needs 37 teeth (14+13) of take up capacity and is the limit for short cage. More take up would want the medium cage.

And yes it should work with the existing Shimano controls. You don'[t need to change the front, since the front and rear derailleurs don't speak to each other anyway. As far as whether you should do everything, it's up to you, but I tend to be wary of trying to radically upgrade a cheap bike, and (without knowing) suggest keeping cheap bikes cheap ad plan B bikes and buying better if you want better. However, upgrading part by part as parts need replacement is a different story and is never a bad move (within reason).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.