View Single Post
Old 08-11-14, 03:32 PM
tumbler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to NYC. I think you'll find it to be a relatively safe and decent place to ride a bike. It's not the middle of nowhere with endless, flat, deserted roads, but as others have mentioned, there are a few nice escapes from the traffic and street lights in the city. If you're going to ride in the parks or the greenway, it's best to get up early or go out late (with a light). I sometimes ride Central Park at dusk, which clears out most of the tourists, but leaves enough locals running and cycling for a few more hours to be safe. Otherwise, cross the GWB and check out Henry Hudson Drive and 9W. Both are relatively low traffic on the weekends (especially early in the morning) and provide a nice break from the craziness in the city. Despite the cars, I actually feel safer on those roads than in Central Park where tourists like to stop abruptly, crash abruptly, take selfies while biking, etc. Have fun and feel free to PM me if you need help with specific routes in Manhattan/NJ since that's primarily where I ride.

Last edited by tumbler; 08-11-14 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Correcting Henry Hudson Pkwy to Henry Hudson Dr. I don't recommend biking on Henry Hudson Pkwy!