View Single Post
Old 08-12-14, 10:31 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by wallrat
On my weekday training rides it's always a drag to get my kit on and head out the door. I probably don't start enjoying it until after I warmup and can start pushing my speed. I hear all about zone 1-2 training mid week but going slow bores me to death.
For most cycling events, and racing,at least below the cat 2 level, you don't need to do a ton of long miles.

One long ride a week will be fine.

A program like this will make you faster, and take the drudgery out of having to be on the bike a ton:

Tuesday, one hour with intervals. Wednesday, 1-2 hour ride moderate endurance pace. This can be a group ride, since you said you like to be social. Thursday, one hour intervals. Saturday, 2-3 hour group ride. Sunday, Race, event, or intervals.

By going with some short harder rides, you'll bust through your plateau, and you won't feel like you have to go out and ride multiple hours repeatedly.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.