Old 10-19-05, 01:38 PM
Speedub.Nate
fanatik

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkrobe
I am an armchair physicist, and I was struck by some of the statement's on the DW-LINK page, notably: [I][INDENT]Newton's Third law of Motion states that "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction." When a bicycle accelerates forward, the rider's mass is transferred rearward. Without something to counteract this mass transfer, the rear suspension on most bicycles will compress under acceleration.
I'm confused at your confusion. This is describing the same phenomenon that causes a automobile to squat in the rear under acceleration and to dive under braking. Under acceleration, mass is transferring from a static load distribution to a rear-biased load distribution.

Dave Weagle is simply attempting to counter that transfer through an equal amount of suspension extension under acceleration, causing the two forces to net out.

Bob, BTW, can come from sloppy pedaling, but the suspension design is far more important. As an example, set up an NRS with 25% sag and pedal as smoothly as you know how, and that shock will extend on you with every stroke. The NRS's suspension was designed to do that to work against the properly setup topped-out suspension.

Platform shocks only go so far -- I haven't found a one yet that hasn't significantly crimped small bump compliance. The dw-link bikes eliminate the need for a platform shock, and it is apparant in the ride.

I encourage you to post in one of Dave Weagle's usual haunts: the Iron Horse forum at MTBR, on Ridemonkey's Lounge, or on HCOR.net. He's usually more than willing to participate in open discussions regarding suspension theory, even those that counter his own. It's very clear from the on-trail performance of the dw-link (Hollowpoint, 7Point, MkIII, Sunday, Tungsten Electrode) that he is able to back up what he writes, and he's a pretty nice guy to boot.