View Single Post
Old 08-13-14, 07:54 AM
localroutes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding on the road for ~ 30 years, starting with centuries and doubles and then graduating to racing age group races. Once I had improved to a level at which I felt I was one of the better riders on the road, I would always feel the need to catch whoever was up the road whether it was just on a regular ride or a century. I caught most people and felt like I really crushed the century riders.
I started riding with guys who raced and told my stories of great triumph in my century rides. They quickly reminded me that the people riding the century rides were not racing and if you really wanted to see what you had, try actually entering an event where people are trying to be the first ones across the finish line. So I did. I began racing when I was 35 and joined the 35+ 4/5 category and had enough success and enjoyment, that I became hooked. It took 4 years to get to the 35+ 1/2/3 level, but after winning numerous races at the 4/5 level I had made it to the big boy league. I knew it would be difficult to hang with these very talented racers, and I did get popped pretty hard in my first few races, but I eventually got to the point where I was able to hang with the main group and then able to hang with the front group. What an amazing feeling of physical accomplishment, I was able to hang with the best master racers in Northern California, who at the time were some of the best riders in the country at that age group.
Once I had reached that level I was totally hooked on the rush of the competition and excited to be involved in the shape each race took, whether through attacking or hanging through the attrition, there was nothing better then being with that front group and vying for the victory. By the time I was 44 I was no longer able to hang with the front group of the 35's, so I raced lightly that year, but eagerly awaited the next season when I was able to join the 45+ group. At that point I was a seasoned racer who had good skills and an understanding of how to shape a race. I had good success until I was 49 and then began to taper off. I've taken a few years off from racing and now am training to enter the 55+ group and can't wait to jump back into the mix.
So I think the message behind this tale is that there is a freedom and exhilaration that is achieved on the bike. Whether that comes from racing or just knowing that your body is able to do things that only a small % of the population can. Riding a death ride in 9 hours is fabulous. Doing the Marin Century in 5 hrs is fabulous. But if these things don't keep you motivated, try the racing world. To be competitive you need to ride enough to have the endurance and speed to keep up with group, and once you're able to conquer that goal, there is no better feeling then taking a race into your hands and coming out victorious. So keep motivated and if you want to hook up with a ride go thelocalsroute.com