surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wallrat
Thanks for the suggestions.

I only picked up cycling because of my kids. I use to travel to rock climb 2-3 weekends a month. Since having kids, I had to stay in town. Because of that, I needed a new sport and decided to mountain bike. After doing that for awhile, I picked up road cycling like I mentioned. I really enjoyed the adventure of starting a new sport and it gave me an activity I could do besides rock climbing. Since I've ridden most of the roads and trails in the area, the adventure aspect of it has been diminished. That's why I was thinking about doing double centuries and entering more races. But if I were to do those things, I might as well start rock climbing again because I'll be headed out of town more weekends and the time demands go up.

One of my many faults is the need to always do something new. I have trouble been content with what I have or what I'm doing. If I'm not improving in one way or another I tend to feel stagnant and bored. It was true with rock climbing too and it always pissed my wife off. Like cycling, I couldn't just pedal around and be happy. If I wasn't doing a harder route each weekend I get disgruntled.

Anyway, from the suggestions it sounds like everyone is different, which is to be expected. I'll work on the following suggestions: chill out and just ride, ride without a computer but use Strava, race, find something else I love to do, or someone find some chicks and money who like my bulge. Or hopefully it's just the summer lull and I'll snap out of it.
I, like many here, can identify with these thoughts. As a younger man I wanted to do everything, ski, scuba dive, play hockey,hunt, fish, cycle, run, there was no limit. As a result, I did everything half assed. With age and maturity, time constraints became greater, family demands and work demands dictated a need for me to narrow down my hobbies. Cycling is what remains. I find if I remember with every ride, how much I love this sport and what a blessing it is to be able to do it , then the joy returns. The more I cycle the more I like it.