View Single Post
Old 08-14-14, 11:57 AM
JPeters

Bikes: Fuji Suncrest 2001 and a battered Colnago Super '77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The BMX rider was ahead of the roadie, obviously looking to merge. There was space for one line. In that situation you let the guy merge in front of you. Squeezing the guy out while going at a randomly changing speed (and looking the other way while doing it) makes the roadie seem negligent, lacking in awareness, and selfish. I can understand why the BMXer got angry, and in London people are capable of killing you over less. It's not right to kick someone, but I'm guessing the BMXer probably doesn't realise that a kick in the wheel of a road bike makes it go down, as it probably wouldn't on a BMX (maybe I'm wrong).

I ride a road bike in a place where most people ride granny bikes and MTBs, and I like to go fast (usually because I'm late for work) but I always make the most effort I can to never cut people up, overtake in an aggressive way, or seem like an arrogant prick - I would expect a kick in a teeth too if I did that a few too many times.

Originally Posted by Slaninar
Why can't you? In my country it is illegal not to use a bike track where there is one. However, on a part of my commute, there is a place that usually gets blocked by lots of pedestrians not paying attention and vehicles parking in and out. Some 200 meters. I always use the road in that part of the commute, instead of bike track. It is technically illegal, braking the law. Once a BMW driver drove beside me and turned onto me, pushing me off the road, because he thought I had no place there. Had I been able to catch him, I would probably have ended up in jail, but I really got pissed and wanted to retaliate.
I ride in Novi Sad too (hello!) and I had no idea it was illegal to take the roads where there are paths. I do that all the time when the bike paths are crowded or where they're too bumpy to go fast (Futoshka).