Old 08-14-14, 03:37 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Single speed - rear axle moves slightly in semi-horizontal dropout

I've had a recurring problem with my wet-weather single speed, where it would gradually develop a loud clicking sound. This will usually show up after doing a slower social ride where I'm standing on the pedals a lot, or after a ride in particularly heavy rain. Until a couple days ago, I couldn't find the source of the problem. For some reason, even with the track nuts on the axle tightened down against the dropouts as tightly as I can get them with a 10" wrench, the axle will still apparently slip forward. This causes the grooved lock nut to move in the dropout, and the clicking sound comes from the grooves against the dropout's edge. Most recently, this has resulted in the lock nut and cone rotating together, and causing the loose-ball bearings to become tight.

Is the solution likely to be something as simple as a tensioner like the new Surly "Hurdy Gurdy" (like the Tuggnut, but for semi-horizontal dropouts)?