View Single Post
Old 08-14-14, 10:15 PM
Simon Phearson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whizzer283
If you want to live in a bike friendly nabe, avoid South Brooklyn, most of Queens (except for LIC), the South Bronx and Staten Island.
Thanks for the tips, Whizzer. As it turns out, it looks like I'll end up in LIC. I'm trying to think of good routes to ride from my soon-to-be apartment; the Greenway looks like it's going to be a long stop-and-go trip across the city, with Central Park being perhaps a more feasible option (though Tumbler's comment about its safety after dark makes me wary to give it a go in the early-morning hours; I thought it'd gotten better?). Looking to the Strava heatmap for some inspiration, it looks like a lot of people run down Queens Blvd., though I'm not sure they're riding on the main drag - it looks a bit... intimidating? It doesn't look like a place to expect safe driving behavior.

It looks there might also be some options for cutting down into Brooklyn, for example, down to Prospect Park, along nearly continuous bike infra. I'm loath to devise a route that spends so much time eating exhaust, but I guess that's kind of what I'm signing up for, moving to New York...

Anyway, I'd love any insights you might have on Queens-oriented options. A lot of the options people are offering seem great but come with a steep price of admission (i.e., lengthy cross-town rides just to get to entry points), given where I'll be living.