TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nashvillwill
Well, it wasn't the rack that failed, but the rear wheel. It was the factory Alex rim that failed. And just to be clear, it wasn't a sudden catastrophic failure of the wheel, but i just blew out spokes and tubes constantly and couldn't keep the rim true (myself or pros), until it ultimately just became deformed. But i weigh 200 lbs and carried an average daily load of probably 20 lbs or so (on the rear rack). Peak load was probably 40 lbs a few times a week (groceries). The rack is a Topeak Explorer MTX and has performed flawlessly. Also, the reason for the pannier replacement was just that the stitching would eventually fail, but these were fold out panniers from a top mounted bag. Granted, this pannier configuration isn't the most sturdy in the world, but i like the setup and don't mind the occasional replacement cost to have the ability to tuck them away. It's handy, while riding on a train, to be able to slender down the bike a little.

I had a new wheel hand built by a guy in Oakland that was highly reviewed as a wheel builder. It's been bullet proof ever since.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Do you remember what model rim it was?

- Andy