Old 08-15-14, 01:14 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My rack has an open frame, not a flat top or sliding attachment type thing as one in photo, but it has same upward bit in front. To carry the bike by its frame is awkward, as i am a very tall guy & i'm not really up to holding 20 lbs in one hand by seat tube while front wheel stays on stairs. The place i do this has very steep stairs & very narrow close clearance landings. To turn the bike around i have to pop it up on its rear wheel.

My idea is to put some kinda grip-y thing there so its less slippy when wet & more padded. The whole lift vs weight thing is moot, as the mount points have no preference in direction of force. The rack i use is not aftermarket, it comes with the bike & is not some accessory you can buy somewhere. It is extremely solidly built & sturdy. Everyone talks here about equipping their bike to best address their needs, well i'm asking about the best way to do this so i'm not grabbing a smooth powder coated tube that is uncomfortable & could slip causing injury to me, persons nearb or damage to my bike or property of others.

The alternative is to lock the bike up some distance (800 feet) away, which is not a good idea due to the lockup location being on separate & unrelated property & completely out of sight line. This is a practical everyday issue, not some cockeyed scheme to make what isnt a handle into one. So, what should i use?

- Andy