Old 08-16-14, 07:06 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I forgot to mention it in my previous post, but I second fietsbob's observation about the difficulty of getting started again with low gearing on a steep slope. The key is to keep moving on at all costs, since if you stop you may find it impossible to get going again. That's especially true if you're using clips and straps, rather than clipless pedals. With SPD pedals and cleats you have a slightly better chance.

When it's really, really steep it can also be hard to keep your front wheel from lifting off the pavement unless you keep your weight well forward. Mountain bikers are probably used to that kind of thing, but I've never ridden a mountain bike, so it was a surprise to me the first time I encountered it.
I will be using SPD pedals as you have probably noticed.

I didn't get a chance to test ride it on a nearby hill as planned for today. A roofing project took me into the "big" city of Concord, and the shingles weighed too much for one trip in my van, so I was back and forth twice. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I'll be able to report back.

Heck, I might even go over to Mount Kearsarge and skip the preliminary testing and go right to the big kahuna.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com