Old 08-18-14, 09:24 AM
wallrat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Many newer cars are very quiet while moving. Hybrid and electric cars are sometimes inaudible. A proper performing bicycle is also extremely quiet as it sneaks up.

With the use of a mirror, the approaching vehicle can be seen 1/4 mile back. Doubt very much if the hearing abilities of any cyclist can detect the noise of that vehicle over the noise created by the air rushing by one's ears.
I live in Northern California. Every other car is a hybrid and my wife drives a Volt. I'm pretty aware of quiet cars. What good is it to know that there is a car 1/4 of the mile back? Unless that car is swerving all over the road and looks like a maniac, it doesn't serve much purpose. Same for a bike. The mirror would obviously keep you from being surprised by a bike or a car but I don't think it'd make you necessarily safer. If someone was on a collision course with you it wouldn't be readily noticeable in a mirror. I'd argue it'd just get you more paranoid about every passing car or bike. That's why I prefer to keep my eyes on the road ahead of me and keep myself visible with a blinky or a bright shirt if I'm not riding in a group.