Old 08-19-14, 09:36 PM
gt eunuch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Barely C&V but you guys may appreciate it. 199? Bianchi San Remo

Picked this up from a couple that was moving out of state. Did not want to put the effort into shipping this to their new house so on craigslist it went. I was the first person there with cash so I got to take it home.

The bike did not come with much at all. It used to be ridden quite a bit, but was purged of parts for a super sweet looking Bridgestone XO-1. Aside from the frame, the bike had a bottom bracket, seatpost binding bolt, pair of canti brakes missing half the bits, stem, bars, and a set of campy ergo levers (9 speed), and a busted up front fender.

Pic below is the bike after loading in the car, as purchased.

Queue the box-o-parts to see if I can get this thing to A. Work, and B. to fit me

After some googling, found out that these shifters work well with a 7 speed Shimano Cassette, and RD with an alternate cable routing. I had the wheelset laying around from my Cannondale, had a NOS Sora RD laying around so that went on. Crankset has been laying around for ages, but the rings came off an RSX crankset (From my recent Cannondale re-build). Front derailleur is super rusty and looks like it has been laying at the bottom of a creek for a decade, but it was the only one I had with a clamp diameter that would work, and the mech operates fine. Brakes are old Shimano units that I got out of the Box of Crap, and the Seatpost/seat was borrowed from the Cannondale for a test ride, and swiftly went back on. Luckily the previous owner had left all the cables intact when stripping the bike, so I was able to re-use all the existing cabling that was on the bike.

The bike seems to fit me well enough, and the 'Shimergo' shifts great on the stand and I had no problems at all on the 2 mile test loop I did tonight. Tomorrow's commute will be a true test.

Google does not return much on this model, so any info about it would be lovely. I assume it is a touring bike due to canti's, unless it was built for CX. It is a steel bike, lugged fork, welded frameset. The welded frameset says to me that it isn't too old. Rack/Fender braze on's are limited to one eyelet a dropout but it DOES have 3 water bottle mounts, and tire clearance doesn't look cavernous, but should be able to swallow some 32's fairly easily (maybe not with fenders).