View Single Post
Old 08-20-14, 09:02 PM
Frizlefrak

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2 & Motobecane 529HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wal-Mart Roadmaster Mt. Fury. Wifey bought a pair of them for $39 each to take with us when we go camping. Rode them a bit, but they sat a lot. I'm 50 years old, doctor recently told me the treadmill is beating up my knees and I need to find a better activity to stay in shape. I was pondering what that would be, when it hit me....no, it literally hit me.....the bike was hanging from the ceiling in the garage, untouched for years...and I ran smack into it...leaving a nice little mark on my forehead...but inspiration had struck.

I got it down, aired the tires, oiled the chain and the cables, and hit the road. It shifted like crap (when it shifted), but I tinkered with it until it shifted pretty decent...well, for a $39 bike anyway. Long story short, I knocked out 250 miles on it in a couple of months just cruising around the neighborhood and rediscovered one of the passions of my youth....riding a bike. Internet perusals followed, at which point I discovered I was riding what is known in industry parlance as a Bicycle Shaped Object. A month or so of searching Craigslist, and a year old Trek FX 7.2 followed me home. I've knocked out 400 miles on it so far since mid June and I love it. BUT....I'm keeping my Wally World BSO Roadmaster MT Fury. It's still great for a quick run to the store and I can chain it up outside with a cheap lock and I don't have to worry about it getting stolen....

A good Mountain Bike is in the cards down the road......or at least a better one LOL.