Old 08-22-14, 10:42 AM
bikertron

Bikes: 2014 Trek Remedy 8 29", 2002 Specialized Allez Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livendive
Another new Clyde here and have been for about 10 years, but put on an extra 25 lbs over the last two years while doing grad school at night in addition to a full time job (think 16 hours a day at a computer plus a couple more hours commuting in a car). I'm just shy of 6' and got up to 241. Now back down to 220 and done with school in a week...soo close to finishing at the same weight I started. My goal weight is 190.

Bad hips, bad neck, running was killing me. Dusted off my old mountain bike two months ago and put some road tires on it and have had fun doing 15-20 mile rides most of the weekends since, and 10ish mile rides in the evenings when I get home from work. Last night I bought a 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite SL2 Apex with only 126 miles on it (basically brand new) and am excited to get working on longer distances. It sounds like at my weight I'm should expect to send my 23c's to an early grave and will want to get at least 25's after they're gone? The bike is all stock, as described here.
When i was down to 180lbs i was breaking spokes constantly on my rear rim (Mavic Open Pro). Your wheels are probably fine, however they probably have anodized aluminum spokes which can suck in my opinion.

You have a couple of options, and the cheapest would be: Ride it and see what happens. Some of the higher end wheels are strong and some are built for those twiggy people. Chances are it will be fine. A lot if it has to do with who built your wheel and if they put even spoke tension the whole way around.

Second cheapest: Have it re-spoked with quality stainless spokes in heavier gauge.

Last resort: Get a heavier duty rear wheel with higher spoke count.

The big thing is making sure the wheel has perfectly even spoke tension. If you break one and replace it, chances are the mechanic will not tension a single replacement spoke appropriately and it will just break again a few miles down the road. Also a different spoke may break that was over stressed when you broke the first one. If you find yourself having spoke issues, just do yourself the favor and replace them all at the same time with quality spokes. Wobbling your way home sucks and you can bend your rim permanently ruining it. Fixing one spoke at a time can be like chasing your tail.

This has just been my experience with dealing with broken spokes on a routine basis. I've had this issue with multiple bikes, but other bikes have been fine out off the shelf.

I've been riding (and abusing) the Mavic CXP-22 for a while now on an Ultegra hub with stainless spokes (can't remember the gauge). I think its a fantastic wheel for the money. Its a workhorse of a wheel, good and stiff for climbing and fast acceleration, a little on the heavy side though (but so am I, currently at 225, occasionally carrying 60+lbs on my back). I think they came out with some sweet new paint jobs too that would look great on your ride. (Mine is just plain jane aluminum though :-/)

The folks on here say good things and I think its the wheel for you should you need to go that route .
http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-me...-opinions.html

What kind of wheel does it come with?