View Single Post
Old 08-22-14, 12:59 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I would think the more likely thought with multiple locks would be "That is just too much effort" - especially when there are going to be a bunch of other bikes around that might be an easier grab. And you don't need all new wheels...just the skewers!
I think that this would be the mindset of a thief. They will likely go for an easier target, but if they want your bike they will get it no matter what.

Originally Posted by KBentley57
2. Try to use either end of the bike rack if possible
I have never heard this. Why?

Originally Posted by KBentley57
Also, if you have a pretty regular schedule, you can leave the locks on the rack. I only really commute to one place on campus, and I leave my lock + cable attached to the rack. When I arrive in the morning it's ready to be locked up, and I don't have to carry it around.
This is also a great idea to limit the lugging around.

If you go between buildings for class just move the lock and leave it at where ever you will be before you go. The short time in each location is a good thing.

Under cover is a great idea, but not always feasible. Get to know campus maintenance staff and see if they have a tuck away space that is secure, that has worked for me.

Always lock through the rear triangle, then supplement with a chain or second U-lock.

I invested in https://www.pinheadlocks.com/store/en/ for both mine and my wife's commuters; keyed identical. They really take out any worries and are easy to use. We do not frequent high theft areas and only have the wheel locks. If I was working in a big city downtown I would opt for full protection (seat, headset...).

Record your serial number! And part numbers of components. It is easier to identify, claim and shop. I made a list on my email and always have it. It is great when you want to start upgrading and cannot remember a spec of a part.

Last edited by joeyduck; 08-22-14 at 01:03 PM.