Old 08-23-14, 04:52 PM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I wrench all of my own bikes, but occasionally will have a shop true a wheel or remove a part I don't have the tool for. I have to say that my area is pretty darned C&V friendly. I'm not saying all of them are, and I've been to just about every one in the Pioneer Valley. I stay away from the shops that don't appreciate C&V as a rule. I think having UMASS and the other colleges helps. There is a great C&V culture in the Amherst/Northampton area, I love seeing all of the bikes locked up around town. Many of the shops have been in business for years with the same core group of mechanics and have pretty much seen it all.

Today I went to one of my favorite shops (Highland Hardware and Bike) looking for an inner chainring bolt and spacer for an old Sakae crank. Robbie stopped working on a mint Free Spirit 5 speed townie with 26x1 3/8 wheels to help me out. He only had a larger spacer, but gave it to me a said to put a file in a vise and grind it down. No charge and it worked perfectly. I'm not sure if it's ok to give them a plug, but hey good service should be acknowledged. They also had several very old bikes hanging from the rafters (a good sign in my book).